COVENTRY & DISTRICT GUNDOG SOCIETY
Coventry & District Gundog Society
Rules (revised 2019)
- NAME AND OBJCT: The name of the society shall be The Coventry & District Gundog Society (hereinafter called The Society). Its objectives shall be to promote the breeding and exhibiting of gundog breeds in the area; to urge the adoption of Kennel Club Standards for the Breeds on breeders and judges etc.; to hold or support Shows and Field Trials and encourage close understanding between their promoters and breeders; to adopt such other means as may be considered advisable for the improvement of Gundog Breeds.
- OFFICERS AND MEMBERS: The management of The Society shall be in the hands of a Committee of 18 Members and 4 Officers; 6 of the 18 Members shall retire annually but shall be eligible for re-election. The Officers shall consist of a non-voting President and a Chairman, Hon. Secretary and Hon Treasurer, all three of whom shall be full voting Members of the Committee (the Chairman to have an additional casting vote). One Officer shall retire annually but shall be eligible for re-election. The Committee shall have powers to co-opt a Member to the Committee should a vacancy arise. Meetings of the Committee shall be as often as may be deemed necessary and 5 shall form a quorum for the transaction of business.
The Officers acknowledge that during the month of January each year Maintenance of Title fee will be forwarded to The Kennel Club by the Secretary for continuance of registration and that by 31st July each year other returns, as stipulated in Kennel Club Regulations for the Registration and Maintenance of Title of Societies and Breed Councils and the Affiliation of Agricultural Societies and Municipal Authorities, will be forwarded to The Kennel Club.
The Officers also acknowledge their duty to inform The Kennel Club of any change of Secretary of The Society which may occur during the course of the year.
- ELECTION OF MEMBERS AND OFFICERS: The election of Officers and Committee shall be by ballot at the AGM. Any nominations for new Officers and new Members of the Committee must be in the hands of the Secretary 7 days before the AGM. These nominations are to clearly state that the nominee is willing to serve if elected. Nominees for Officer positions must have served on the Main Committee for at least two consecutive years. At the time of nomination the proposer, seconder and nominee must be fully paid up Members of The Society. Postal or proxy votes are not allowable for any Officer or Committee position: Votes will only be accepted from Society Members actually attending the AGM.
No person whilst an undischarged bankrupt may serve on the Committee of or hold any other office or appointment within a Kennel Club Registered Society.
Any Committee Member missing three or more functions of The Society within one year without good reason must automatically offer themselves for re-election at the next AGM.
- SUBSCRIPTION: The annual subscription shall be £8.00 single membership and £12.00 joint membership for full membership to participate in all The Society’s activities. A reduced membership of £4.00 single membership and £6 joint membership for show activities only is payable. Junior membership (under 16 years) shall be £2. All subscriptions are due on 1st January each year. Any Member failing to pay due subscription by 30th April shall automatically be removed from the list of Members. Voting shall be limited to 1 vote per person.
- SOCIETY PROPERTY: The property of The Society shall be vested in the Committee and in the event of The Society ceasing to exist a General Meeting shall be called to decide the disposal of any asset. The Society shall obtain from the donors of Challenge Cups and Trophies an acknowledgement that the gift is made outright to The Society.
- EXPULSION OF MEMBERS: Any Member who shall be disqualified under Kennel Club Rule A11.j(5) and/or Kennel Club Rule A11.j(9) shall ipso facto cease to be a Member of the Society. If the conduct of any Member shall, in the opinion of the Committee of the Society, be injurious or likely to be injurious to the character or interests of The Society, the Committee of The Society may, at a meeting the notice convening which includes as an object the consideration of the conduct of the Member, determine that a Special General Meeting of the Society shall be called for the purpose of passing a resolution to expel him/her. Notice of the Special General Meeting shall be sent to the accused Member, giving particulars of the complaint and advising the place, date and hour of the Meeting that he/she may attend and offer an explanation. If at the Meeting a resolution to expel is passed by a two-thirds majority of the Members present and voting, his/her name shall forthwith be erased from the list of Members and he/she shall thereupon cease for all purposes to be a Member of the Society except that he/she may, within two calendar months from the date of such Meeting, appeal to The Kennel Club upon and subject to such conditions as The Kennel Club may impose.
If The Society expels any Member for discreditable conduct in connection with dogs, dog shows, trials or competitions The Society must report the matter in writing to The Kennel Club within seven days and supply any particulars required.
- GENERAL MEETING: The AGM shall be held before 30th June each year at a time and place to be arranged by the Chairman and Secretary with the agreement of Members. The purpose of the meeting to be to receive the report of The Committee and Certified Accounts and to discuss any resolution duly placed on the Agenda of which 7 days written notice has been given to the Secretary. Members will receive not less than 14 days’ notice of the AGM by post. Notice of the AGM is to include a draft Agenda and details of which Officers and Members of the Committee are resigning and who are offering themselves for re-election. Copies of the minutes of the previous AGM and Certified Accounts will be available at the AGM or by request from the Secretary.
No business shall be transacted at the AGM unless notice thereof appears on the Agenda with the exception of routine matters, or those which in the opinion of the Chairman are urgent.
A Special General Meeting shall be summoned by the Hon. Secretary on the instruction of the Chairman, or on receipt of a written request signed by any 12 Members of The Society stating the subject to be discussed. No business other than that named on the Agenda shall be discussed at a Special General Meeting. If the Secretary shall for 21 days fail to summon a Special General Meeting when so requested then the Chairman or the 12 Members making the request may themselves summon the meeting.
The Rules of The Society may not be altered except at an AGM or Special General Meeting notice of which includes details of the proposal to alter the Rules. Such alterations shall not be brought into force until The Kennel Club have been advised and has given its approval of alterations.
- SOCIETY ACCOUNTS: The financial year of The Society shall be from the 1st January to 31st December. A banking account shall be opened in the name of The Coventry & District Gundog Society to be operated by two of the following: Chairman, Hon. Secretary or Hon. Treasurer. The accounts to be kept by the Treasurer and certified annually. A copy of the annual statement of accounts is to be made available on request to Members 14 days prior to the AGM. The annual statement of accounts will be available for inspection by Members at the AGM. Certification of accounts must be carried out by one qualified accountant or two unqualified individuals with accountancy experience. Those undertaking the Certification must be independent of those who prepared the Accounts.
- MEMBERS LIST: An up to date list of Members and their addresses, and those of Branch Members where appropriate, must be maintained and, if so requested, made available for inspection by The Kennel Club and by Members of The Society. A declaration of the number of Members of The Society must be made with the Annual Returns.
- THE COVENTRY & DISTRICT GUNDOG SOCIETY shall not join any Federation of Societies or Clubs.
- THE KENNEL CLUB shall be the final court of appeal in all matters of dispute in interpreting the Rules and Regulations of The Society and in all cases relative to Canine or Society matters.
FIELD TRIAL / WORKING SECTION
- COVENTRY & DISTRICT GUNDOG SOCIETY: (Gundog Field Trial/Working Section): Its objects shall be to promote the training of Gundogs and to hold or support Working Tests and Field Trials, and to encourage closest understanding between their promoters and breeders; to adopt such other means as may be considered advisable for the improvement of Gundog Breeds.
- The organisation of the Field Trail/Working Section shall be in the hands of a Committee of 12 Members, from who shall be elected an Administrative Secretary, and 5 Officers. The Officers shall consist of a Chairman, Two Hon. Field Trial Secretaries, Hon. Working Secretary and Hon. Treasurer. 5 shall form a quorum for the transaction of business.
- At least one and preferably all of the Officers shall be Members of The Society’s Main Committee and shall be elected at the first Main Committee Meeting after the AGM. The Field Trail/Working Committee shall serve annually and the names of the Committee Members shall be notified to the Main Committee. Any nominations for new Officers and new Members of the Committee must be in the hands of the Hon. Secretary 7 days before the AGM.
- A report on the Field Trial/Working Section’s activities and Committee Meetings shall be given at each Main Committee Meeting. Close liaison must be maintained between The Field Trial Secretary, Working Secretary and Treasurer and Main Secretary and Treasurer. The Main Officers should be notified of all proposed activities before action is taken.
- Officers of the Main Committee shall have an automatic right to sit on the Field Trail/Working Committee.
- The financial year shall be from the 1st January to 31st December each year. An audited balance sheet is to be prepared and incorporated with the Main Accounts for presentation at the AGM. A copy of the audited balance sheet is to be made available on request to Members 14 days prior to the AGM. A Banking Account shall be opened in the name of the Field Trail/Working Section to be operated by two of the following: Field Trial/Working Section Treasurer, Society Secretary, Field Trial Secretary or Working Secretary.